Just Imagine – Cut and paste your ultimate life.
Note: We have hundreds of tips and articles like this in our Your Tools section, for members only. Come and hang out with real lifestyle experts and join a community of people making it happen.
The start of every journey is a clear vision. As Dr Seuss says “sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple”.
Many people decide to get organised because they feel like their chaos is holding them back. “Holding you back from what?” is what I’m always curious to know. This question gets to the heart of what’s important. But you’d be surprised how many people struggle to answer it straight up.
When we head on a holiday, we pick the destination, plan the trip, buy the tickets and pack our bags. When we go to a meeting, we agree on the venue, get the address, and figure out how to get there. But why is it that when it comes to life, many people leave that ‘destination’ bit out? They just jump on the train without knowing exactly where it’s heading? I call it the ‘pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey’ method of getting what you want. It’s slow, dark, painful and you may hit the wall before you hit your destination.
The biggest tip I can give anyone embarking on a project like getting organised is to get clear on what you want before you start. This saves you an enormous amount of time and energy.
A clear vision is best expressed visually. I’m not trying to be funny here J. It’s just that so many people say to me things like “but I’m not really a visual person”. If you’re organising a room, it pays to have an image of what you want the room to look like, feel like and how you want it to function. The same applies to your ideal job, your ideal holiday, house, car, partner, bank balance, you name it. Sometimes achieving our biggest dreams in life can be as simple as child’s play. We learned the lovely art of cutting and pasting before we started school. It’s time to reconnect!
Here are 7 ways to create a vision of what you want:
- Get cutting and pasting. Kill two birds with the one pair of scissors 😉 and get rid of those piles of magazines while clipping out the images that relate to your goals. Stick them tastefully on a poster board with some words and include images of yourself (for context) and you’re off and running.
- Use Google images to find images of what you want. Try key words like ‘relaxation’, ‘beautiful home’, etc and see what comes up. Then save the images in a file called ‘vision board’ on your PC.
- Create a collage. Use Picasa (a free program from Google) to create a collage of your images.
- Print out several copies of your collage and laminate them and pin them up around your house
- Join Pinterest www.pinterest.com, an online community for people to share images and see what others are inspired by. You will find plenty of ideas there.
- Try the Oprah vision board tool. www.oprah.com this is great if you need a little hand holding
- Join the community in Milking It who are all creating vision boards together as part of the first step to creating their ideal lives. http://www.didyourememberthemilk.com.au/milking-it-registration